Healthcare Workers Tax Rebate Services | VW Taxation

VW Taxation Ltd

Healthcare Workers Tax Rebate

Tax Rebate Specialists for Healthcare Workers

As a healthcare worker, your days are no doubt long and challenging, making every second of your free time precious. Tasks such as managing personal finances can, understandably, seem like a chore – especially when it comes to the minefield that is tax relief. Wading through the jargon and the regulations set out by HMRC may feel like an unwelcome demand on your time – but you could be missing out on a well-earned tax rebate worth hundreds, or even thousands of pounds.

At VW Taxation, we believe that every one of our valued healthcare workers should receive what they are owed, with the minimum of inconvenience. Our aim is to demystify the healthcare tax relief process and to take the burden of applying for a tax rebate off of your shoulders.

Whether you are an NHS employee or in private practice, our tax experts will help you to identify exactly which expenses you can claim tax relief on, before overseeing the application process on your behalf.

Call us today for a no-obligation discussion about how to claim tax relief, and take the first step towards receiving the tax rebate you deserve.

What is a tax rebate and how does it work?

‘Tax relief’ is a reduction in the amount of income tax an individual is required to pay, to make up for personal expenses incurred due to work. This is received by way of a refund or ‘tax rebate’, paid directly to the individual. It is important to remember that you will not receive a refund for the total sum of your expenses, rather you will receive tax relief on those expenses, based on the rate of income tax you pay.
HMRC provides support to careworkers and healthcare professionals by offering tax relief on certain personal expenditure (see below – What expenses can I claim for as a healthcare worker?). If you have not claimed before, then it is unlikely that it will be paid automatically, so the onus is on you to make a claim, or risk losing the benefit.
The good news is that tax relief can be backdated up to four years, so if you have missed out there is still a chance to claim what you are owed.

Am I eligible for a healthcare worker tax rebate?

If you are employed on a PAYE basis or registered for Self Assessment and have paid tax in the current tax year, then you are eligible to apply for tax relief on certain expenses. If you are backdating your application, then you must have paid tax in the tax year for which you are applying. This applies to workers employed by the NHS, in private healthcare, or self-employed healthcare professionals.

How is healthcare worker tax rebate calculated?

Your tax rebate will be calculated based on the costs you have incurred and your income tax band, ie. if you pay a basic rate of income tax at 20%, you can apply for tax relief on 20% of your expenses.

When can I apply for a healthcare worker tax rebate?

You can apply for a tax rebate on work expenses at any time, backdated up to four years. HMRC will not prompt you to do so, you must apply for it under your own steam.

If you have overpaid tax as part of the PAYE scheme, HMRC will notify you by issuing a P800 form, usually around September. This will show the amount you have overpaid, which will be refunded automatically.

How do you claim a healthcare worker tax rebate?

In order to claim a tax refund on personal expenses, you must apply for it by post or online. You will receive a reply from HMRC in anything up to 12 weeks and payment will be made in the following few weeks.

Before you apply, you must ensure that you have all the relevant documentation and proof of expenditure, such as receipts and a diary of business mileage. It’s vital to do your homework as to exactly what you can and cannot claim for, or you will risk having your application refused by HMRC.

VW Taxation understands that the process can be confusing and time-consuming, especially as your healthcare role demands so much of your time. We can take the task out of your hands and complete all of the relevant documentation for you, as well as offering sound advice on what you are entitled to claim.

What expenses can I claim tax relief on as a healthcare worker?

Healthcare workers are regularly required to purchase work essentials at their own expense. If those expenses are not refunded in full by your employer, then you may be able to claim tax relief on them.

Here is a list of expenses that a healthcare worker may typically claim a tax rebate on:


If you have to launder your work uniform yourself, or if you have to replace or repair it at your own expense, then you are entitled to claim the tax back. This does not apply if your employer reimburses you for the cost, or if they provide laundry services. The flat-rate allowance is currently £60, but this could be higher depending on your profession. Nurses and midwives can also benefit from tax relief on shoes, socks and tights.

It is worth noting that PPE is not eligible for tax relief, as employers are required to supply the necessary protective equipment, or at least reimburse you for expenses incurred.

Specialist equipment

If you are required to purchase small items and equipment to enable you to do your job, then you are entitled to claim a tax refund. This applies to items that typically last less than two years and that have no significant personal use. You cannot claim if your employer reimburses you for the cost.

If you are self-employed, you may be able to claim for larger items, such as laptops and computers, as part of your Annual Investment Allowance.

Travel expenses

If you use your own vehicle to travel to ‘temporary places of work’, you are entitled to claim tax relief on mileage. For healthcare workers, a temporary place of work may be a different hospital, clinic or practice, or perhaps a patient’s private residence. You cannot claim business mileage for travelling to and from your regular place of work.

The business mileage rate is set by HMRC and is currently 45p per mile. If your employer gives you a mileage allowance which is less than this, you can claim a tax rebate for the difference.

You may also claim tax relief for using public transport to reach temporary places of work, and subsistence costs if you are required to stay anywhere overnight.

With regards to travelling to training courses, it is more of a grey area. If HMRC considers the training to be essential to your role, it may not qualify. This is a good example of where it is helpful to obtain the advice of a tax professional.

Professional fees and subscriptions

You may be able to claim a tax refund on the cost of membership and subscription to professional bodies, such as the British Medical Association, Royal College of Surgeons and the Royal College of Nursing. HMRC deems that any memberships must be essential to or useful to your role in order to make a legitimate claim. Once again, it pays to seek the advice of a tax specialist such as VW Taxation to confirm where you stand.

It is also possible to claim tax back on your membership to a worker’s union, such as Unison.

So, How Do I Claim a Rebate?

All of these many possibilities are ways in which a tax refund can be owed to you, but you are likely wondering how to go about receiving a tax rebate.

Why choose VW Taxation?

As a healthcare worker you have chosen to dedicate your career to helping others, and VW Taxation would be delighted to extend a helping hand to you in return. Just as you live and breathe your profession, we live and breathe taxation, and we have all of the advice and answers you need about healthcare worker tax relief.

By choosing VW Taxation, you can be sure of a professional and friendly service. We pride ourselves on our transparent and honest approach, and you can be sure that we have your best interests at heart. We do not want you to lose a single penny that you are entitled to and we will work hard on your behalf to achieve the tax refund that you deserve.

FREE no-obligation quote:

Call us today for a no-obligation discussion about how we can relieve you of the burden of applying for a tax rebate.
Scroll to Top