Healthcare Workers Tax Rebate Services | VW Taxation

VW Taxation Ltd

Teacher Tax Rebate Services

Tax Rebate Specialists for Teachers

Teaching comes with as many challenges as it does rewards, especially in these unsettled times. As a teacher, your days are no doubt long and challenging, making every second of your free time precious. Tasks such as managing personal finances can, understandably, seem like a chore – especially when it comes to the minefield that is tax relief.

Even as an academic, wading through the jargon and the regulations set out by HMRC may feel like an unwelcome demand on your time – but you could be paying too much tax and missing out on a well-earned tax refund.

As a taxpaying teacher or tutor, you are entitled to certain tax reliefs. At VW Taxation, we believe that every one of our valued educators should receive what they are owed, with the minimum of inconvenience. Our aim is to demystify teacher tax relief and to take the burden of applying for a tax rebate off of your shoulders. Our tax experts will help you to identify exactly which expenses you can claim tax relief on, before overseeing the application process on your behalf.

Call us today for a no-obligation discussion about how to claim tax refunds, and take the first step towards claiming the tax rebate you deserve.

What is a tax rebate for teachers and how does it work?

‘Tax relief’ is a reduction in the amount of income tax an individual is required to pay, to make up for unavoidable personal expenses incurred due to work. This is received by way of a refund or ‘tax rebate’, paid directly to the individual. It is important to remember that you will not receive a refund for the total sum of your expenses, rather you will receive tax relief on those expenses, based on the rate of income tax you pay.

HMRC provides support to teaching professionals by offering tax relief on certain personal expenditure, such as professional fees, travel expenses, teacher union fees, and specialist clothing. In order to make a claim, you must have incurred the expense without reimbursement in full. If you received reimbursement in full from your employer in full then you cannot make a claim, but if they partially reimbursed you, you can potentially claim for the difference.

If you have not claimed before, then it is unlikely that it will be paid automatically, so the onus is on you to make a claim, or risk losing the benefit.

Tax rebates for teachers

The good news is that a tax relief can be backdated up to four years, so if you have missed out there is still a chance to claim what you are owed.

Am I eligible for a teachers tax rebate?

If you are employed on a PAYE basis and have paid tax in the current tax year, then you are eligible to apply for tax relief on eligible expenses. If you are a self-employed teacher or tutor and are registered for Self Assessment, then you are also entitled to seek a teacher tax refund.

If you are backdating your application, then you must have paid tax in the tax year for which you are applying.

How is a teacher tax rebate calculated?

Your tax rebate will be calculated based on the costs you have incurred and your income tax band, ie. if you pay a basic rate of income tax at 20%, you can apply for tax relief on 20% of your expenses.

When can I apply for a teacher tax rebate?

You can apply for a tax rebate on work expenses at any time, backdated up to four years. HMRC will not prompt you to do so, you must apply for it under your own steam.

If you have overpaid tax as part of the PAYE scheme, HMRC will notify you by issuing a P800 form, usually around September. This will show the amount you have overpaid, which will be refunded automatically.

How can I claim a teacher tax rebate?

In order to claim a tax refund on expenses, you must apply for it by post or online. You will receive a reply from HMRC in anything up to 12 weeks and payment will be made in the following few weeks.

Before you apply, you must ensure that you have all the relevant documentation and proof of expenditure, such as receipts and a diary of business mileage. It’s vital to do your homework as to exactly what you can and cannot claim for, or you will risk having your application refused by HMRC.

VW Taxation understands that the process can be confusing and time-consuming, especially as your teaching, planning, marking and administrative duties demand so much of your time. We can take the task out of your hands and complete all of the relevant documentation for you, as well as offering sound advice on what you are entitled to claim.

What expenses can I claim tax relief on as a teacher?

Teachers are regularly required to purchase work essentials and pay professional fees at their own expense. If those expenses are not refunded in full by your employer, then you may be able to claim tax relief on them.

Here is a list of expenses that a teacher may typically claim a tax refund on:

Teachers union fees

For many, being a member of a union provides valuable reassurance that their professional interests are being best served. HMRC supports this by offering tax relief on annual membership fees. This includes memberships to the National Union of Teachers (NUT), National Education Union (NEU), and NASUWT (The Teachers Union). The full list of approved organisations is published on the government website.

Specialist clothing and equipment

If your teaching specialism requires you to buy and maintain a uniform or specialist clothing, you may be able to claim the tax back on replacement and laundering costs. For example, P.E. teachers might purchase sportswear and science teachers, safety clothing. This may also extend to essential equipment you need to do your job, such as sports equipment. You must have incurred the expense yourself to make a claim, and it only applies to the cost of replacement, repair and maintenance, not the initial purchase cost.

Travel expenses

If you work at a single educational facility, you cannot claim a tax refund on business mileage for your regular commute. However, if you use your own vehicle to travel between schools, colleges, or universities in the course of your work, you are entitled to claim tax relief on mileage.

The business mileage rate is set by HMRC and is currently 45p per mile. If your employer gives you a mileage allowance that is less than that, you can claim a tax rebate for the difference.

You may also claim tax relief for using public transport to reach temporary places of work, and subsistence costs if you are required to stay anywhere overnight.

So, How Do I Claim a Rebate?

All of these many possibilities are ways in which a tax refund can be owed to you, but you are likely wondering how to go about receiving a tax rebate.

Why choose VW Taxation?

As a teacher, you have chosen a vocation rather than a career, and you have our utmost admiration. Just as you live and breathe your profession, we live and breathe taxation, and we have all of the advice and answers you need to claim a well-earned teacher tax rebate.

By choosing VW Taxation, you can be sure of a professional and friendly service. We pride ourselves on our transparent and honest approach, and you can be sure that we have your best interests at heart. We do not want you to lose a single penny that you are entitled to and we will work hard on your behalf to claim the tax refund that you deserve.

FREE no-obligation quote:

Call us today for a no-obligation discussion about how we can relieve you of the burden of applying for a tax rebate.
Scroll to Top